Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Day 2 (by Sarah)

Day 2 was Easter, but it wasn't spent in a church. We woke up to the snow and to one of the longest, coldest winters that Germany has experienced in a long while.
The morning started off with a bus tour which took us all over Berlin. We saw thing like the Radio Tower, the Holocaust Memorial, and even the Pregnant Oyster. The part of the that tour was really fun wasn't the stuff we were learning, but the tour guide he was really sarcastic and made funny comments that helped the stories and information stay in my head. My favorite thing that we visited was the Olympic Stadium; we were able to get out and take pictures with it. It was so fascinating though because it was so huge when it was originally built it could fit 100,000 people.
Then we went to the Checkpoint Charlie Museum. I thought that this was really fun because they had the two different signs that would tell you that you were leaving the U.S. side and entering the Soviet side and then on the other side it said that you were now entering the U.S. side. I also paid my two euro to get my picture with the American soldiers and their post, which I personally thought was really exciting. I also found the actual museum to be interesting because it went into detail about the events in the Cold War, and that's what I'm learning in school, so it's very intriguing to me.
We then walked to the river where we had our boat tour, but the tour wasn't for another hour so we got free time until the boat ride. The actual boat ride was soothing though. I couldn't really see much, but I could hear over the intercom. It was also funny to see the people slowly fall asleep as the tour progressed. But by the end we were trying to play matchmaker and make relationships.
We then had more free time, and so naturally in the snow I got gelato. We also changed our money into crowns for Czech Republic.
Then we took the Metro to the Eastern Center and tried to get into the GDR Museum, but the line for tickets was too long. So we just had about a hour and a half of free time. I went to a art museum and I looked at the history of Germany from 1914-1994.
We then went to a Russian restaurant, but it served really interesting meat. I couldn't really tell what the meat was, but it was good. Then they gave us donuts for dessert which were also good, they were jelly filled, but only in one corner, and I didn't eat the whole thing so I didn't get any of the jelly.
This day was pretty fun, and I learned a lot which I enjoyed a lot.





















































No comments: